Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Well, my pumpkin isn't so pumpkin-y!

This weekend is that homebrew contest I posted about earlier, so I decided it would probably be a good idea to pop a top and actually taste my Pumpkin Ale before I entered it.

It has only been a little over a week since I bottled it, so when I heard that familiar fizz when I opened it I was very pleased. SO I grabbed a glass and poured it over.

SANY0664

It looked beautiful. It was a nice golden orange color and it poured a nice thick off white head that gave way to some remarkable lacing down the glass as I drank it.

Just one problem there was no pumpkin aroma and no pumpkin flavor. Now I followed a recipe that called for fresh pumpkin, a whopping 8 pounds of it and the description was "liquid pumpkin pie".

august 2010 074

august 2010 076

I mean seriously look at all that pumpkin I seriously roasted 3 whole pie pumpkins and when all was said and done I added 8 pounds of pureed pumpkin into the beer. Then on top of that I also added cinnamon and a bunch of other spices, so c'mon man I should have some sort of pumpkin/pumpkin pie flavor. But nope, nothing.

So I am quite disappointed on the Pumpkin Ale front but quite pleased as to how the beer turned out. It is a little bitter, but overall a really great tasting beer.

Now the other problem is I already sent in my homebrew entry form and the second beer is clearly entered as a Pumpkin Ale. So now I am in a bit of a pickle, I can either take my non-pumpkin pumpkin ale in and get laughed at or I can just donate the entry fee and leave that beer at home. Oh hell, I really don't care, I'll probably still take it get laughed at, because even though I may get laughed at I know it will get drank.

So I guess just wish me luck........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...