Thursday, March 10, 2011

Patience & Pride

Well, this is just an update on my Maibock. A couple of days ago I had to go down in the cellar to check on the sump pump, so while I was down there I took a peak at my Maibock. It appears the lagering phase is going well, it is definitely settling out nicely and every couple of minutes or so a nice big bubble comes through the airlock.

It has been down in the cellar for just over a month and has another month to go. I’ll bring it out and bottle it around April 9th. Now I have some patience but I don’t have a ton of it, so this has been a long month and I know it’s only going to get longer.

As I was down in the cellar admiring the beer and wishing it was ready, I started to think about the patience that goes into craftsmanship. I like to think that making beer is like making a beautiful piece of furniture, you start out looking for the finest materials that will make the perfect piece. Then there is a lot of hard work in turning each piece, assembling the pieces, sanding, and finally staining the piece. This process can take days, weeks, or even years for some furniture makers to perfect the piece they are working on.

Making beer is the same process, you start out looking for the finest malt and hops, then you spend a lot of time boiling the wort and preparing your yeast culture, and finally assembling the fermenter. Then there is a period of time where you can sit back and wait, then finally you can bottle or keg the beer. Through this whole process the beer is being hand crafted, just like with woodworking. The beer takes on a life of it’s own just like a fine oak table or chair. Also, if you rush or take shortcuts, it will show in the final product whether it’s a scratched/marred piece of wood or a skunky off aroma/tasting beer. Both are processes are a labor of love that take time and patience to produce the highest quality finished piece.

But anyway I have rambled on enough about the ethereal side of making beer without actually making the point I was trying to make, but what the hell right? At least I got some thoughts out.

Keep ‘em tippin’!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...