Saturday, January 9, 2010

You put the beer in the coconut and throw the can away! Well, not really....

Well, my Bock has been happily fermenting for 7 days in the primary fermenter at approx. 57 F and today was the day to transfer it to a glass carboy and start the 4 week lagering process. So I pulled out a the carboy and sanitized it with hot water and a little chlorine. After letting it sit for about a half hour, I triple rinsed with hot water so the glass was warm to the touch. I find that if you transfer your fermenter into a warm carboy and aerate it as you are doing it, it reinvigorates the yeast and you get a better finish to the fermentation. That brings me to this little gadget:



That little piece of plastic works wonders for aerating the fermenter as it is being transferred. As the beer runs down the tubing and through the piece above, it hits the point, which displaces the stream and introduces air into the beer. Also the resulting spray also aerates the beer as it splashes. I really love using it and it was super cheap. So here is the transferring process:





So the beer was all transferred and then was inspected by my Head Brewmaster:





After Ava's approval and her awarding me a medal for in her words "Best Team Beer", I placed the beer in what I am calling my lagering cellar and will now anxiously wait for the next 3-4 weeks before I can bottle it up. So now I just sit back and wait while enjoying a cold one of someone else's and wait. I hope I can hold out that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...