Friday, May 21, 2010

A beer trip for 3 …. Hoppy Beerthday to us!!

So my best friend’s birthday is two days before mine and we both share a love of beer, so this year we decided that we would check out a newer nano/microbrewery Keuka Brewing Co. So Jeremy, my wife Lauren and I loaded up in the car and headed towards Hammondsport, NY.

We finally found our way out into the sticks and the first sight we see when we pull in the parking lot is:

5.15.2010 001 OK, what the hell is going on, there is a port-a-potty in the middle of the parking lot. Not a good sign, I realize that they are a small place but seriously a port-a-potty. So now we had no idea of what to expect walking into this place, but things started to look up.

5.15.2010 002 

Then we walked into the tasting room and things really started to look better. The tasting room was really nice and was decorated interestingly.

5.15.2010 005

5.15.2010 007

After taking a quick look around the tasting room, I amazed at how busy the place was. It was really packed, a steady line of people were at the bar, so things looked really promising. Then we noticed the board of beer:

5.15.2010 009

Let the tasting begin:

5.15.2010 010

1. White Cap Wheat: It was very light, slightly watery and very typical of a wheat beer.

2. KBC Pale Ale: A very good pale ale with a slight hoppy kick, one of my favorites of the day.

3. Briglin Road Red: Will review this beer later, I bought a 1 liter of this beer alone.

4. Full Sail Stout: A good stout, but very light in mouthfeel. A lot of coffee notes, and some very slight chocolate notes.

5. Hoppy Laker IPA: This is a very hoppy IPA, you get hit with a lot of hops as soon as you taste it, but then they dissipate quickly and it leaves none of the bitterness. So it wasn’t a real good representation of an IPA.

So of the five beers I tried, I really liked 2 of them. I liked the KBC Pale Ale and the Briglin Road Red. I ended up buying a a 1 liter bottle of the Red which I will review at a later date.

Overall, it was a nice little spot to taste some beer and hell any day tasting beer is a good day. So if you ever find yourself down near Hammondsport, NY stop in and have a pint or growler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...