Sunday, May 16, 2010

Coop’s Irish Stout – Homebrew Review

So I have been pretty busy as of late with too many things to list, but I have had this beer review in my back pocket for about a week. It definitely seems that the homebrew itch has struck my friend pretty hard, he has brewed two batches and is itching to start a third. So in the spirit of homebrewing we traded a few bottles to each other to get some honest opinions. He traded me some of his Irish Stout for some of my German Alt (beer review to follow soon, I hope). So here is the review of his second brew:
Ava's b-day and random May '10 094
Appearance: Very, very dark almost black in color. When held to the light you can barely see through it and it has some red highlights. It pours a generous head with nice off-white to very light tan bubbles. Very true to style.
Aroma: Some slight chocolate notes, and a lot of dark malt with a hint of some black patent malt. Some slight coffee aromas, as well. Very little hop aroma, which is true to the style.
Taste: Very smooth on the palate. Some of the same aroma notes come through in the mouth. Like the coffee, chocolate, and darker malts come through giving it great balance. It is heavy enough but not overpowering.
Overall: This was a great representation of the Stout style. I am a big fan of dark beer and this was a great beer. Coop gave me 4 bottles and they didn’t last long. I was really impressed with this beer and he did a fantastic job. Overall it was a fantastic beer. Great job, man.
Stay tuned for the German Alt review and a trip to Keuka Brewing, but until then keep em’ tipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...