Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Choices, choices, so many choices

I have gotten that old familiar itch again, and no I’m not talking about anything that has to do with the anything that would be covered by a loin cloth, if I wore one. Again. No, I’m talking about brewing beer, as usual. Luckily for  me, a Northern Brewer catalog showed up in the mail. It was all new and shiny and crisp looking, it was beautiful. See for yourself:

DSC01132

So I cracked it open and started flipping through the pages searching for something new to brew. Normally this is a long process for me as I like to look through beer recipes online or in a few different books I have, but I figured I would see what NB had to offer. I flipped through the ingredients pages as I like to order the raw materials and craft my own beers from the recipes I find or I use my own recipes that I have crafted through trial and error, but this time I wanted to see what was different that was out there to brew, so I looked at the kits pages. I started out brewing beer using these pre-packaged kits and they are very useful when brewing a style that you have never attempted before. So as I went through page by page I came up with three choices. They are as follows:

Choice #1:

IMG_2335[1]

Now this one looked really interesting from its description, but it does look a little pricey. One thing that worries me is the name is a little too close to Magic Hat’s Number 9, which is a good beer but not one of my favorites.

Choice #2

IMG_2334[1]

Now I really like German beers and the Alt is a classical style that I really enjoy and I think that I would enjoy brewing.

Choice #3

IMG_2333[1]

I am in the heart of the Northeast and the home of Genesee and Cream Ale. I am partial to the style and I really do enjoy Genny Cream Ale when I am drinking for quantity. So I know that I really couldn’t go wrong with this beer, but it is a little too familiar for me at the moment I think.

So those are my three choices, I think that I will stew over them a little longer before I make my decision. I’ll keep you updated, but I do know one thing I have to get something in the fermenter and quick. So until next time, Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...