Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Take me back to the Motherland

It has been a hell of a week this week. Its just been busy and it seems like one thing happens on the heels of the next, so I am just now getting to this review. I had to go to Wegman’s to pick up the essentials for the ladies in my life. That would be apple juice, slo-melt popsicle mighty minis, and a quart of chocolate almond ice cream. So as long as I was there and I was already back in the frozen section which is directly adjacent to the beer section, I figured I would pick up myself a little something. So I was feeling nostalgic about my heritage, so I decided I would make my selection out of the German section. So here it is:

DSC01120

Reissdorf Kolsch, straight from Germany. Its so legit it even states the “Reinheitsgebot von 1516”. For those of you who don’t know what that is, here’s the history. The German’s were so hardcore about their beer and brewing that they enacted the above law which means German Purity Law and it was legalized in 1516. It states that beer can only be made from 4 ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, and Yeast. It was put into effect because of a few reasons, competition over ingredients and also they didn’t want brewer’s using other ingredients that could potentially be harmful or lethal to the beer drinking public, hence giving beer a bad name.

But anyway onto the review:

DSC01121

The Kolsch was very light in color and crystal clear. It produced a generous head that was bright white. I also noticed immediately the effervescence of this beer, it just kept bubbling the whole time it was sitting there.

Aroma: The first thing I smelled was that skunky Heineken smell. You know what I am talking about that mixture of cabbage and cat piss. Not really a good start.

Flavor: First hit is the bitterness from all of the CO2. It is very light, but no noticeable hop or malt notes. Just a lot of “burn” from all of the CO2.

Overall, it was a refreshing beer to drink. It was light in everything, color, mouthfeel, flavor, the works. It was a beer that would have appeal for drinking it in mass quantity. It isn’t full of flavor like a stout or porter where you drink one bottle and that’s enough. I would buy this beer again for a hot sunny day on the back deck, but other than that it wouldn’t be my first choice.

So pick it up and give it a shot and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...