Friday, January 28, 2011

Lagunitas: Little Sumpin’ Wild Ale Review

I was walking through Wegmans a couple of days ago and of course I was cruising the craft beer section. I have been wanting to find something to review that was a little different. Lucky for me I stumbled upon Lagunitas’ Little Sumpin’ Wild Ale. I instantly loved the label artwork, anytime I run across a good vintage pin up I’m sold. So I quickly scooped up a bottle and rushed home to try it.

So here we go:

SANY0914 Very nice label, at least I think so.

SANY0916

It poured a beautiful golden color with red highlights. The head was a thick bed of tiny bubbles that stayed throughout the beer. As I let it sit, it still had some effervescence bubbling from the bottom.

From the name and the description on the bottle, I was expecting something really different. There was a whole little story on the bottle about them using the “Westmalle Yeast Strain”, so I was expecting to smell some interesting esters from the yeast. Instead,I smelled a whole lot of hops. Ok I thought,it is just really hopped up. So then I took a taste, and I tasted a typical IPA. I was very disappointed, I thought I had found something new, something exciting and all I got was a disguised IPA.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a very good IPA. It had a ton of of hop aroma and enough bitterness to carry it. So if IPAs are your thing,it is definitely worth picking up and drinking. I just feel like I was duped. Well, they obviously pay their marketing department well, because they sucked me right in with a beautiful label and a great story. If they had labeled it as an IPA,I would have passed right over it. I don’t mind IPAs but they are definitely not my beer.

So there you have it,it is a good beer, but definitely unexpected. So until my next trip to Wegmans, keep ‘em tippin’!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...