Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ol’ Naps Maibock

I know I haven’t posted in a while, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been brewing. Yep, Ol’ Naps has been brewing up something special. I have been quietly brewing up a nice Maibock. Traditionally Bocks are spring beers that are brewed in the dead of winter and lagered for a few months to to be cracked open for a spring festival. It is a German style and the name Bock actually means goat, so that’s why when March rolls around you’ll see a ton of Bocks being offered and 99% have a goat on the label.

I love these beers. I love that they are brewed to be a celebration of the coming of spring. I have had traditional Bocks, Dopplebocks (double bocks)  and triple bocks, but I have never had a Maibock. It is the same as a traditional bock, but much lighter in color but with the same big, full flavors.

This Maibock has been fermenting for two weeks and was ready for transferring to a glass carboy to be cellared for two months to be ready for the end of March. I took a short video of what the beer looks like and how I transfer below. I apologize ahead of time for the poor video quality.

So take a look and let me know if you have any comments or questions. I am always more than happy to talk beer with anyone.

Prost & Keep  ‘em tippin’

4 comments:

  1. Cool video. I haven't seen an attachment like that in my local homebrew shop. Is that something you bought or just jury rigged? Great idea for oxygenating your beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it from Nothern Brewer. It was actually less than a buck, I think. I know a lot of people are wary of oxygenating beer but a little goes a long way and that little tip helps me get just enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always thought you werent supposed to put air into like that, is it just for that type of brew or do you do it with all styles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most brewer's are leary of putting oxygen in the beer because of oxidized flavors and aromas. But during fermentation the yeast can get a little sluggish around the end of the fermentation. So by adding just a small amount of oxygen when your transferring the beer it reinvigorates the yeast so they can finish the fermentation to dryness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...